Council recognises and acknowledges that young people are a significant and valuable part of the community within the Coorong District Council area. Young people are local residents, visitors, workers, consumers, entertainment seekers and tourists. Council acknowledges that young people's contributions add vitality and fresh innovation to the area.
Council is committed to identifying and fostering a strong working relationship with the young people of the district enhancing health, well being and safety. This will be achieved as outlined within the Strategic Management Plan by continued participation in National Youth week, supporting and participating in the Youth Week activities and also identifying and implementing programs and projects relevant to engage local youth.
Blue Light Disco's
Council supports the local police officers, Lutheran Church, Tailem Bend Football Clubrooms, and Tailem Bend Primary School in their endeavours to providing some supervised entertainment in a safe environment. The Disco's have proved to be a successful non profit event which strives to bring together the youth of the area and the local police establishing an important bond and open communication relationship.
The Office for Youth
The Office for Youth provides to Council funding for National Youth Week events, information booklets, promotional materials for YAC, and co-ordinates the Youth Advisory Committee program within South Australia. For further information on YAC or The Office for Youth please click here.
General information regarding Youth
In today's society we are faced with more and more problems when growing up. These problems can range from peer pressure, bullying, body image, being different, to friendships, relationships, the ups and downs of families, puberty and even to depression, pregnancy and suicide.
See the links below for further information.
There are so many options available to school leavers; there are numerous Universities and TAFE Colleges available to you. Leaving the Rural area to venture away for study can be quite difficult. Please refer to the website information for any assistance regarding the transition, student enrolment details, available course, campus information and much more.
There are many thousands of jobs available across Australia, finding the right job for you can be as simple as browsing one of the following links. Some of the more popular job search web sites on the Internet are listed below.
Other Youth Links
- Youth Affairs Council of South Australia
- Murraylands Headspace - Murray Bridge
- Young Persons Guide to Independent Living
Youth Helpline Numbers
- Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800 - Anonymous and confidential telephone counselling for people aged 5-18 years
- Child Abuse Reporting - 13 14 78 - Reporting of suspected child abuse
- Youth and Parent Services - 08 8443 3802 - Emergency accommodation for young people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless
- ShineSA - 1800 188 171 - Sexual Health Information Networking and Education
- Alcohol and Drug Information Service - 1300 13 1340 - Counselling service for people with drug and alcohol problems and their family and friends