Like other towns along the Mallee Highway, Sherlock was built to sustain early farming settlers and the erection of the Pinnaroo railway line. Sherlock grew as the railway did, gaining its own station master in 1925. The church and tennis courts were opened in early 1910’s. School was attended until it closed in 1970. With the decline of the railway, Sherlock has now shrunk, however much of its history remains.