Coorong District Council response measures to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Residents who are experiencing financial hardship may seek assistance from Coorong District Council by entering into a long-term payment arrangement. Information is available on our Financial Hardship page.

Latest COVID-19 update issued 20th November. More information can be found here.

Dismiss alert

Rate Information

Payment of Rates

You can choose to pay your rates in four quarterly instalments or in one annual amount. If you choose to pay quarterly we will send you further notices for each quarter. If the amount due remains unpaid after the due date, it may be recovered in a court of competent jurisdiction.

Fines on Rates

Rates will be overdue if they have not been paid by the “last day for payment” date shown on the front of this notice. After this date, additional charges will apply as follows:

  • A fine of 2% of the amount due will be added, and
  • On the 11th of each month thereafter, interest (at the rate prescribed in the Local Government Act 1999) will be added on any balance (including interest) not then paid.
  • If the overdue amount remains unpaid after Final Reminder Notice, debt may be referred to an external party for recovery and may incur additional fees and result in legal proceedings.

Service of this notice does not invalidate or vary any previous demands for payment

Rate Concessions

An eligible pensioner may be entitled to a concession on their principal place of residence. All pensioner concession applications are administered by the State Government.

Further information can be obtained by telephoning the Department of Human Services' Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758 or for those with a hearing or speech impairment can telephone 8226 6789.

Council Rebates

Residents who receive payments from Centrelink may be eligible to receive a concession on their principle place of residence.  This includes property owners and tenants of rental properties.  All pensioner concession applications are administered by the State Government.

Further information can be obtained by telephoning the DHS Concessions Hotline on 1800 307 758. For those with a hearing or speech impairment can telephone 8226 6789, or alternatively please visit the website at

Regional Landscape Levy

Council collects a regional Regional Landscape Levy on all rateable properties on behalf of the State Government's Regional Landscape Boards. The Landscape South Australia Act 2019 is the new framework for managing the State’s land, water, pests (animals and plants) and biodiversity.

For more information about the projects your regional Regional Landscape Levy helps fund, visit the Murraylands & Riverland Landscape Board website, or the Limestone Coast Landscape Board website.

Single Farm Enterprise

Section 152(2)(d) of the Act provides that where a Council declares a general rate which is based in whole or in part, on a fixed charge:

"If two or more pieces of rateable land within the area of the Council constitute a single farm enterprise only one fixed charge may be imposed against the whole of the land".

A single farm enterprise must be comprised of two or more pieces of rateable land which are farm land and are occupied by the same person or persons. To enable properties to be identified as single farm enterprises it will be necessary for ratepayers to complete an application form to provide details to Council to enable Council to identify the land concerned and determine eligibility criteria is met.

An application form can be obtained from any of the Council offices.

To download a copy of Council's Single Farm Enterprise Fact Sheet and Application form, please click on the link below.

Single Farm Enterprise Fact Sheet and Application(1237 kb)

Rate Capping

A rate capping rebate provides relief for what would otherwise amount to a substantial increase in rates payable to a ratepayer due to rapid changes in valuation and or a change in the rating system. Council reviews its rate capping rebate percentage annually and notes that it has not changed for a number of years; however, due to valuation increases which have impacted mostly on primary producers, Council proposes to provide capping of 10% for ALL rating categories (excluding properties located within the Bulk Handling Zone). This is a 10% rate cap improvement for the primary production and all other rating categories (residential will remain at 10%).

Applications are considered subject to:

  • The increase is not as a result of building improvements made to the land (regardless of when the development was undertaken); or
  • The increase is not as a result of change of land use of the land; or
  • The increase is not as a result of rezoning of the land; or
  • Ownership of the land has not changed since 30 June 2018.
To download a copy of Council's Rate Capping Rebate Application Form for all categories, please click on the link below.
Capping Rebate Form for All Categories 2020-2021(185 kb)

Change of Address or Ownership

Please advise Council, in writing, immediately if your details have changed. Tear off slip on bottom of notice.

Objection to Valuation

You may object to the valuation referred to in this notice by writing served personally or by post on the Valuer-General within 60 days after the date of service of this notice. But Note:

(a) if you have previously received a notice or notices under the Local Government Act 1999 referring to the valuation and informing you of a 60-day objection period, the objection period is 60 days after service of the first such notice;

(b) you may not object to the valuation if the Valuer-General has already considered an objection by you to that valuation.

A written objection to valuation must set out the grounds for objection. Rates are still due and payable by the due date even if an objection has been lodged.

Objections are to be forwarded to: State Valuation Office

GPO Box 1354, Adelaide 5001. Phone 1300 653 345


Objection to Land Use

Differential General Rates imposed by the Council are based on various Land Use Categories. Should you have any reason to believe that the Land Use Category applied to your account is incorrect, you may lodge a written objection with Council outlining the grounds upon which your objection is based. Objections must be submitted to Council within 60 days of receiving your first notice.

Rates are still due and payable by the due date even if an objection has been lodged.

Voters Roll

Persons on the State House of Assembly Electoral Roll are automatically included in the Council Voters Roll and entitled to vote in Council elections.

Others who are ratepayers may also be entitled to be enrolled on the Council Voters Roll. If you have any queries please contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 785 277 or email

Have your views been heard?

Council has undertaken community consultation on the proposed services and the current budget and rating policy. If you are concerned about your Council rates, contact Council's Customer Service Centre on 1300 785 277 or email

To download a copy of Council's Rating Policy, please click on the link below.

Rating Policy